I guess there is no better time than now to start the process of potty training our 2 1/2 year old. Truthfully, I think she has been "ready" for a couple of months now but we've been procrastinating. We keep telling each other we are only buying the small pack of diapers each time we go to the store. About 50 small packs later...
And since we had the long Thanksgiving weekend, Noah and I decided it was a good time to try. So far I couldn't be prouder of our Ava. She's been great about stopping what she's doing to go potty.
We started introducing her to the potty a few months back but just for her to get used to sitting on the seat. I think that helped the process out.
Then we started giving her stickers every time she went potty. She was into it for a few times and then lost interest so since she's been ok just with high praise, we are just sticking with that.
Another piece of handy advice for us was to avoid pull-ups. They are too much like diapers and we want to Ava realize quickly how uncomfortable wetting herself is.
We also decided we wouldn't go the straight naked route either. Accidents are a bit too messy. So instead, we decided on training pants. They are soft like underwear but have a bit more padding so it helps make accidents easier to clean up.
Accidents haven't been that bad. I think in the total of three days of being in training pants there have only been five. We will still stick to diapers at nap time, outings, and night time until she gets the hang of it.
So here's to being hopeful. I'm hoping by Christmas we will be buying less diapers! Not even sure, is there a normal time frame to get potty training down? Oh well, I don't think I'll stress myself out with timelines. It's up to Ava!
I hope everyone enjoyed their long Thanksgiving weekend. We sure did. We were pretty lazy most of the weekend. It was so nice to spend much need family time without any agenda. Here's to jump starting this week by saying a few hellos!
Hello to getting festive. We put up our Christmas tree up while watching the annual Macy's Thanksgiving parade :)
Hello no nap Ava. It finally hit her around 5:00. I found her fast asleep. Adorable.
Hello vegging out. What we do best after full bellys.
Hello to firsts. This thanksgiving was Lily's last first holiday.
Hello lazy post Thanksgiving day. We stayed in, potty trained, and did some Christmas online shopping.
Hello elastic waist band pants.
Hello toddler tornado! Ava had a play date and this happened.
Hello sisterly moments. This doesn't happen very often so when they are sweet to each other I love capturing it.
Hello playground fun. After being cooped up in the house for two days it was time for some fresh air. Ava and Lily loved playing!
Hello cute kitty beanie! It's so fun being silly with these cuties! I'm looking forward to so much in the next coming weeks! Disney on Ice, graduations, work holiday parties, and first birthdays! Stay tuned! Have a great day! Thanks for stopping by! Stay classy readers!
I was reading Good Housekeeping and came across an interview with Dennis Quaid. OI'm stealing the questions (and switching it to refer to me).
1. The most rewarding part of being a mom is...when they come up in the middle of playing just to give you a hug or say I love you or when they say something or do something that cracks me up, which is daily :)
2. I make a really good...jungle gym, or so my 11 month thinks! I have the bruises to prove it.
3. My husband and I go out...not often as we should I'd hate to admit. But when we do I cherish it!
4. A typical Saturday night is...spent in our living room in our pjs watching tv, chasing lily, and playing with Ava.
5. On Sunday mornings we...have our coffee and watch kids shows. Then we all shower and get ready for the day. We usually find something to do outside of the house.
6. When my husband and I disagree about something around the house I know it's... Usually something petty. It usually turns into a joke and gets forgotten about.
7. The thing I always do around the house is... Pick. Up. Toys! They are everywhere! It's a constant battle! 8. My favorite family ritual is... Giving everyone hugs and kissing goodnight.
9. My husband would say my worst habit is... Forgetting everything. I always leave something behind when we leave the house.
10. And he'd say my best habit is...ha, that's a good question. I asked and his response was "I'm not playing these survey games." Typical answer from him lol. I guess it's a mystery! xoxo, Julia